This prop replica of the Handlink is constructed of laser
cut cell cast acrylic, to closely match the hand link seen in season 4.
The prop masters of the late 1980ís
and early 90ís would have given their right arm for access to some of the
electronic features available today. Out with the old 555 timer arrays and in
with micro controllers and surface mount components. The electronics package in this prop have been
updated with all the latest tech. Some of its features are.
- Over 100 tiny smd led lights
- Touch sensitive stainless steel sensors which
control lights and sounds
- An amplifier, driving a miniature loud
speaker similar to those used in mobile devices
- The old J type battery has been replaced with a
modern rechargeable battery. (A simulated J type battery color print
is optional for aesthetic purposes.)
- A micro usb charge port has been thoughtfully positioned
along the bottom edge for stand-up recharging and display mode.
- A sound package that replicates all the sounds
heard on the show and interaction that matches the original. Tap on the touch
sensors and hear the various beeps, pops and squeals. Whack your palm on the
side and hear Ziggy whine.
- All this, mounted to a printed circuit board.
Over 12 years have gone into the development of this prop.
Progress can be seen in the photos on the Replica Props facebook page here.